LIVE Hearings today with Věra Jourová Vice-President for Values and transparency. Vera Jourova is heard by the Committee on Constitutional Affairs (AFCO) and the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) in association with the Committe on Legal Affairs (JURI) of the European Parliament for a hearing to test her genral competences. Members of the European Parliament in Brussels test her European commitment and specific expertise related to her portfolio. 07/10/2019 14:30 – AFCO/LIBE
🔴 LIVE: hearing with Věra Jourová 🇨🇿, candidate commissioner for values and transparency 🇪🇺
Gepostet von European Parliament am Montag, 7. Oktober 2019
Who is Vera Jourova?
Věra Jourová is a Czech politician, businesswoman, and lawyer, who serves as the European Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality as a part of the Juncker Commission since October 2014. Previously, she was the Czech Minister for Regional Development and Member of the Chamber of Deputies (MP) from 2013 to 2014.
Vera Jourova grew up in Třebíč, a small town in which her parents, a kindergarten teacher and caterer, ran a folk troupe. She studied cultural anthropology in Prague, while raising two children. Upon graduation, she returned to work in Třebíč’s local council.
In 2019, Time magazine ranked Vera Jourova in a list of 100 most influential people of the year. Reason for that was her share on passing and implementing General Data Protection Regulation and new privacy rights as European Commissioner.
Today’s nomination for the Vice-President of the @EU_Commission is a great honour for me. It is for the first time that the Czech Republic has such a top job. I look forward to my hearing before the @Europarl_EN , which has the final say. #vdLCommission
— Věra Jourová (@VeraJourova) September 10, 2019
Last responsibilities in European Commission:
- Fighting discrimination, promoting gender equality and pursuing negotiations on the proposed Anti-Discrimination Directive, which would ban discrimination in all areas where the EU has jurisdiction.
- Ensuring the swift adoption of the EU data protection reform and modernising and simplifying consumer rules for online and digital purchases.
- Concluding negotiations with the United States on a data protection agreement to protect the privacy of EU citizens wherever they live.
- Setting up an independent European Public Prosecutor’s office by 2016 to protect the EU budget from fraud and reinforcing judicial cooperation on criminal matters.
- Concluding the EU’s accession to the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms of the Council of Europe
Ensuring that all Commission proposals respect the European Charter of Fundamental Rights.
Věra Jourová is part of the following Project Teams:
- Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness
- Digital Single Market
- Energy Union
- Euro and Social Dialogue
- Better Regulation and Interinstitutional Affairs
- Budget and Human Resources
Vice-President-designate, Values and Transparency
After the hearing by the Committee on Constitutional Affairs (AFCO) and the Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) , the committees prepare an evaluation letter on the candidate. Parliament will vote on the new Commission as a whole on 23 October.
The team of European Commissioners – proposed by its President-elect Ursula von der Leyen – ‘shall be subject as a body to a vote of approval by the European Parliament’.
Before taking this vote, European Parliament committees conduct hearings with the proposed Commissioners in accordance with Parliament’s internal Rules of Procedure.