LIVE Hearings today with Mariya Gabriel Commissioner for Innovation and youth. Members of the European Parliament in Brussels test her general competences, European commitment and specific expertise related to her portfolio.
Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner-designate for Innovation and Youth is heard by the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE) in association with the Committee on Culture and Education (CULT).
Who is Mariya Gabriel?
Mariya Ivanova Gabriel is a Bulgarian politician and a member of the GERB party. She is the current European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society. Previously, she was a Member of the European Parliament from 2009 to 2017. There, she served as Vice-President of the European People’s Party (EPP) group, Vice-President of EPP Women and head of the Bulgarian EPP delegation.
I am very honoured for having received the #Innnovation & #Youth portfolio for the next mandate in #vdLTeam. Thank you President @vonderleyen for the trust placed in me. I look forward to continue to work for our citizens & business to tackle together the challenges ahead of us pic.twitter.com/6ICFhkWxfI
— Mariya Gabriel (@GabrielMariya) September 10, 2019
Mariya Gabriel last responsibilities in EU Digital Economy and Society:
- Facilitate, under the coordination of Vice-President Šefčovič*, the adoption by the co-legislators of all the legislative proposals presented by the Commission to complete the Digital Single Market.
- Prepare, as part of the project team steered and coordinated by Vice-President Šefčovič*, ambitious proposals for the completion of a connected Digital Single Market, based on the mid-term review.
- Develop and implement measures to make Europe more trusted and secure online, so that citizens and business can fully reap the benefits of the digital economy.
- Ensure that the EU can be a catalyst for public and private investment, focusing on high-quality, digital network infrastructure.
- Support the development of creative industries and of a successful European media and content industry.
- Contribute to activities that turn digital research into successful European innovation stories.
Mariya Gabriel is part of the following Project Teams:
- Jobs, Growth, Investment & Competitiveness
- Digital Single Market
- Energy Union
- Better Regulation and Interinstitutional Affairs
- Budget and Human Resources
The team of European Commissioners – proposed by its President-elect Ursula von der Leyen – ‘shall be subject as a body to a vote of approval by the European Parliament’.
Before taking this vote, European Parliament committees conduct hearings with the proposed Commissioners in accordance with Parliament’s internal Rules of Procedure.