Who will be the next president of the European Commission? Lead candidates from European political parties take part in a live Eurovision debate at the Parliament in Brussels from 21.00 CET on 15 May.
The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) holds a ‘Spitzenkandidate’ TV debate, in other words, a live television Eurovision debate between candidates for the presidency of the European Commission, on May 15th at the European Parliament in Brussels. Two TV moderators that will host the debate night drew the speaking order and the place of the lead candidates.
Political parties put forward candidates for the post of president of the European Commission ahead of the European elections. The lead candidate nominated by the Council, and able to command a majority in Parliament, will be elected President of the European Commission by a vote of Parliament.
- Nico CUÉ, European Left (EL)
- Ska KELLER, European Green Party (EGP)
- Jan ZAHRADIL, Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (ACRE)
- Margrethe VESTAGER, Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE)
- Manfred WEBER, European People’s Party (EPP)
- Frans TIMMERMANS, Party of European Socialists (PES)
A speaking order had been pre-determined, meaning the candidates will express themselves as follows: Order of appearance on stage & of opening statements: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 and order for the 3 thematic discussions.
Get Ready and Join #EUdebate
#EUelections2019 #EUelections2019 #europeanelections